"Dance until you shatter yourself." -Rumi

Sunday, April 15, 2012

MAKING/music



Hey Y'all!

The 2nd episode of The Spandananada Show has been released.  When Doug and I made the first episode a couple weeks ago, I told him that I wanted to have a short, fun, catchy opening segment that would introduce the show every week-- like Dexter!  The problem is, I complained, for I didn't have any non-copyrighted music to use.  He immediately ran into the other room and came back with a bunch of instruments telling me that I should make my own music.  I, in turn, immediately went into resistance, telling the same story that I've always told myself:  I don't play music.

I'm one of those types that tells everyone around me to just create and play and have fun, and that it doesn't matter what it sounds like or looks like.  For the most part that's how I live my life-- except when it comes to musical instruments.  So.  Recognizing my resistance, and the hypocrisy of the talk that I don't walk, I made the decision that I would give it a try.  Still in my pajamas, I plopped myself down on my new fluffy orange meditation cushion, and spread out the instruments around me.  I handed Doug the camera, and without rehearsing told him to start recording.

I took a deep breath and committed myself to doing it. I grabbed an instrument and started.  In literally 45 seconds it was complete.  It only took one take.  What you see as the opening track is an unedited first, final, and only attempt.  It changed the way I relate to playing music, and it gave me the confidence boost to make this show a success.

Read the Rumi poem above again.  What are you resisting?  What creative expression excites you and scares you?  Too often we allow our fears to limit our ability to create, to be happy, to be successful. Whatever it is that makes you come alive please, I beg you, please please please start doing it.  Don't wait for the right moment.  Don't put it off thinking that you need to do something else first.  Now!  Right now is the time. You have nothing to lose and everything, everything to gain.

Lots of love,
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sacred Tremor

Sacred Tremor
discover what moves you