"Dance until you shatter yourself." -Rumi

Monday, July 12, 2010

PA/folks


i've been on the road 12 days now with 1,396 miles behind me. this trip has been absolutely spectacular. i'm with my family right now in pennsylvania, which has been absolutely delightful so far. i love my family very much. um... that's not to say that i'm not put to the test daily. but i've learned that a couple of long, slow deep breaths go a long way. what i try to remember with my family-- and with everyone that i meet-- is that deep inside we all just want to be loved for who we are. almost everything that comes out of our mouths can be traced in some way to the need to be loved, to be heard, to be understood, to be acknowledged. i remember that for myself, too. that i have that need. that i'm not invincible. that i'm not so independent and self reliant that i don't need love. in fact, being loved is just as important as our need for water, food and shelter. without love we wither and shrivel and die.

i have a friend whose son was killed in an accident in his early 20's. she's a strong woman with a big, tender heart. when i told her that i was visiting my mother she said, "i hope you get to give your mama a big hug! make it a hard, long hug and say, 'thanks for birthing me, mom.'" when i saw my mom the other day she held me and cried and told me how much she loved me and missed me. i was so choked up i couldn't say anything. all i could do was hug her with all my heart. i never felt so grateful for her.

and i'm grateful for all of my family-- my father, my brothers, my nieces. they never cease to love me and encourage me for who i am.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sacred Tremor

Sacred Tremor
discover what moves you